Monday, May 12, 2014

May Day Funnel Cake-Tippaleipä

I know I'm a little late posting this, but we are still in the start of May.

May Day! In Finland it is called Vappu, which is a day that is celebrated by going out and having a picnic. Though the weather in Finland seems to be cold, rainy or even snowy during this time... or lucky with some sun . Non the less, we still go out and have a nice time.

2012 Vappu. Helsinki, FI
The eve of May 1st is the drinking day, well mostly for Uni students and the capping of Havis Amanda statue. So fun!



Anyway I wanted to share my Tippaleipä or Funnel Cake recipe that my friends LOVE, and I've made them every year and they go fast.


I can't remember where I found this recipe, but here we go.

Ingredients:
3-4 cups flour
3 eggs
2 cups milk ( I drink almond milk, which works too.)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Optional
1-3 teaspoons of vanilla sugar and cinnamon
( I added these to the recipe because I wanted some tasty flavor and the hint of vanilla and cinnamon is addicting )

powder sugar for dusting
vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

In large bowl, beat eggs, add sugar and milk. Stir.
In a medium bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder.


Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until batter is smooth- should not be too thick.

The funnel should have an opening at least 1/2 inch and be able to hold a cup of batter. Put your finger over the bottom and add about a cup of batter. Remove your finger and allow the batter to pour into the center of the oil.

Be careful! the oil may slash!


Gradually swirl the batter outward in a circular motion or criss-cross back and forth to make a cake about 7-8 inch round.
I made mini ones, but you can eyeball how big you want them to be. Have fun with it! 


Turn it over when the bottom becomes golden brown.


*** A piping bag will work to, I use a ziploc and pipe the batter in until the cake is the size I want.



Enjoy!

Any questions? Leave a comment :)

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment